8.05.2016

Dissertation On Self-Reflection

"Where did you travel to for the development of this collection?""Was there something particular you did to gain inspiration?" I get asked these kinds of questions a lot during interviews with journalists. Evidently it seems their image of me is that I am always traveling.
I wake up every morning at 5:00 to prepare breakfast for my daughter. After driving my daughter to school and gazing at the morning sun, I make a pit stop at the gas station to fill up the tank. I drop by the super market to buy food for my staff and wife, then we get to work at my atelier. As the design work starts to pick up momentum my daughter comes home from school and we draw together. We all have a great time as we eat together and before I know it the day is finished.
This development process is nothing spectacular. There are however moments of discovery and excitement in the simply daily routine.
The color of the morning sun. The color of the sky.
An old album cover that suddenly catches my eye.
The color of the sweater being worn by my daughter.
The cloth covering my table in the atelier.
At that moment depending on the way I may see things (my perspective) these things become inspiration. What's important is the choice I make on how I see certain things or think about certain things.
I like the photography of Edward Curtis. He was an American photographer and ethnologist; when I see the photos he took I become strongly aware of his choice. Curtis documented the American West and the Native American people with his photography from the late 19th century to the early 20th century.
In any photo I see of his, he has been able to capture in an image the beauty, strength, pride, and sensitivity of his subject.
I decided to take a portrait of myself using an old technique. I stood in front of the lens for six seconds while wearing the product we developed and made.
I wonder what kind of image will show itself on the glass plate.
- Hiroki Nakamura
Visvim

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기